Junior Research Analyst
Established in 2016, Sauti East Africa is a women-led social enterprise based in Kenya combining development research and technology solutions to address the digital information gap facing women MSMEs in East Africa.
We build, implement, and scale mobile-based platforms utilising SMS, USSD, and WhatsApp technology, whereby anyone with a mobile phone can access tailored business and social support information anytime, anywhere, and in their preferred local languages. Further, the platform is free to access and can be accessed with any kind of phone, reducing access barriers for individuals with lower digital literacy rates, poor internet access, or without smartphones.
Sauti also leverages its integration with the cross-border trade ecosystem to offer specialised research on MSME economic behaviours. Sauti has received funding from Google.org, Agence Française de Développement (AFD), and D-Prize, and our clients have included TradeMark East Africa and TetraTech. Sauti operates across East Africa, with the core team based in Nairobi, Kenya.
Sauti’s unique approach to implementation and data collection provides exciting opportunities to promote research and learning on the cross-border trade space. Especially for hard-to-sample populations, such as women, youth, and informal SMEs, Sauti is well-placed to develop and communicate unique and underexplored insights.
To this objective, we are seeking an entry-level recent graduate or junior professional, with a demonstrated passion for international development, to join our team in a part-time Research Analyst role. The successful candidate will work closely with the CEO and CTO of the company.
Job Location – Nairobi, Kenya or Remote
Duration – Part-time job for 10 days a month, initially on a 6-month contract, with flexible working hours
Deadline – 10 September 2021
We offer flexible work schedules and leadership opportunities in an entrepreneurial team culture. You will play an important role in helping to grow an award-winning social enterprise that is rapidly scaling-up.
Tasks and Responsibilities
- Help to communicate data insights in the cross-border trade facilitation sector by compiling monthly and quarterly data reports based on platform user behaviour and Sauti data collection activities.
- Assist project management activities related to presentation and report design, including data visualisation.
- Design training and marketing materials for Sauti’s platforms to facilitate training of trainers in field outreach activities.
- Design Sauti digital communication materials and assets.
- Assist project management activities related to technical data analysis, including writing data extraction scripts in Python, framing data, and working with the team to analyse the data.
- Lead the research and writing of grant applications.
- Maintain and update the Sauti website with WordPress.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field, or current postgraduate student in international development or related fields.
- Full proficiency in English with demonstrably excellent written and verbal skills.
- Strong writing, analytical presentation, and communication design skills.
- An interest in communicating development sector learning, either through academic writing and research, or project briefs and reports.
- Excellent organisation skills and detail-oriented.
- Proficiency in WordPress, Google Suite, Adobe Suite (particularly InDesign), and Python.
- Collaborative, adaptable, and proactive working style.
- Willingness to learn new technical skills, approaches, and contribute to research and product design.
- A strong commitment to women’s economic empowerment and/or innovative technology applications in developing contexts
Candidates who do not have these preferred qualifications, but are interested and willing to learn, are also encouraged to apply.
Interested applicants should apply with their CV, cover letter, and examples of past work here by the 10 September 2021.
We empower the change that people need and deliver the solutions that people want.
We listen to and learn from the people we work with.
We conduct our work through mutual respect and appreciation for different perspectives.
We engage in open and thoughtful communication with traders, colleagues, and partners.