Established in Kenya in 2016, Sauti East Africa is an award-winning social enterprise that has received funding from Google.org, Agence Française de Développement (AFD), GIZ, Palladium and D-Prize. Sauti provides mobile-based information platforms in low-technology contexts to empower Africa’s women-led SME’s to trade safely, legally, and profitably across borders.
Sauti builds mobile-based platforms utilising SMS and USSD technology, whereby anyone with a basic mobile phone can access tailored business information and report border experiences anytime, anywhere, and in their preferred local languages. Sauti also leverages its integration with the cross-border trade ecosystem to offer specialised research on SME economic behaviours. Sauti operates across East Africa, with the core team based in Nairobi, Kenya.
We are now expanding our team and we are looking for a Strategy and Marketing Intern (Remote).
Sauti is growing and developing new products to diversify our offering. To support us in this exciting period, we are looking for a remote intern to work with us. The position will work across areas of market mapping, customer strategy and communications. The role will be diverse, challenging and offer exposure to the inner workings of a growing social enterprise.
The ideal candidate is a recent graduate with a strong interest in business development, product growth strategy and marketing/communications. This means having excellent skills in the areas of research, data analysis, writing and design, combined with an experimental, start-up mentality. The successful candidate will work closely with Sauti’s leadership team and will play a pivotal role in shaping the company’s future.
- Conception, writing and design of tailored marketing and communications materials for Sauti’s core offering and new products.
- Conduct market assessment to assess feasibility of rolling out an on-demand mobile-based data collection and management tool, including identification of target customer segments, willingness to pay, and customer needs.
- Support the leadership team to develop a detailed go-to-market strategy for the tool, including a plan for pricing and partnerships across target customer segments.
- Develop tailored marketing and communications materials for key customer segments, outlining benefits associated with using the tool for conducting research and collecting customer and beneficiary data.
- Support Sauti’s leadership team on ad-hoc projects.
- Bachelor’s degree as minimum qualification (Related to business or marketing preferred).
- Clear and confident written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent writing skills.
- Self-starter with experience executing project-based research and strategic recommendations.
- Proactive and comfortable working independently to deadlines (remote).
- Strong analytical skills (Excel/Google Sheets) and an understanding of key finance principles.
- Experience with Adobe suite (Photoshop and InDesign).
- Excellent attention to details.
- Interest in developing country contexts, start-ups and technology would be an asset.
Duration: 3 months (with the possibility of extension)
Hours: Flexible. Some core working hours would need to overlap with the Sauti team based in Nairobi, Kenya
Preferred Start Date: ASAP
Salary: Stipend of up to $1,000 USD per month gross (or equivalent) to be determined based on experience and hours agreed
How to Apply
The deadline for applications is Friday 29th May. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, so applicants are encouraged to apply early.
Please apply by completing the application form here:
In case of any clarifications about the role or the application process please email email@example.com. Please note that we will not accept any applications via email.